How to make a "Glass Lady"
By: Jennifer Ward, Alexandria
1. I use GE Silicone II for windows and doors in
clear. It can be purchased in a squeeze tube at Lowe's for about $3.50 I
think the squeeze tube is much easier to handle than the caulk gun. It is
located in the caulking aisle. It is a white tube with bright blue on it.
2. Make sure the bottoms of your plates, bowls, etc.. are pretty. Most of
them will be turned upside so they don't catch water.
3. Each glass lady is different. I have some that are taller some that are
smaller. So the overall number of pieces of glass that each person will need
may vary. Here is what I usually use for a taller glass lady:
4. When choosing glass pieces make sure to look at it upside down too. It
may not make a great head, but upside down it could be a perfect hat!
5. Make sure your pieces "fit" together. Your pieces must overlap. For
example. if the you use a ruffled vase for the belly and a small plate for
her shoulders when you glue them they won't form a tight bond, which means
that it could hold water or it may be wobbly.
6. Look for glass at goodwill, garage sales, in your cupboards!
7. Warning---making glass ladies is highly addictive!!!
For the legs I use a tall candlestick, a vase, or anything that has a
tapered leggy look to it. Turn your pieces upside down.
Next you will want a bigger bowl or plate for the skirt. I usually use a
bowl because upside down it hangs down and looks like a skirt.
Next you will need a belly. I have use a footed goblet or a globe to a
ceiling fan. They are a good height for a belly and they are tapered.
Next you will need something for her shoulders. You can use a plate or a
bowl. Typically I use a piece that is smaller than the piece I use for the
Her head is next. I almost always use a pretty footed sherbert cup. I have
also used a tall stemmed wine glass and it gave the glass lady a very
Her hat is all that is left. A small saucer with an upside down sherbert cup
makes a perfect hat. I have also used a saucer with a bell without its
Let your imagination run wild and have fun!!!!